Dan Saul wrote:
I care more about data integrity then performance. Of course if
performance is so bad that one would not be able to, say stream a
video off of it that wouldn't be acceptable.

Any config I could imagine would be able to stream several videos at once (even 10Mbit/sec 1080p HD). For very high data integrity and plenty of performance for streaming a few videos, I'd try:

3 x 9-wide raidz-2
3 x hot spare

For a total of 21 disks worth of usable space.  If you need a bit more space,
do:

2 x 14-wide raidz-2
2 x hot spare

for a total of 24 disks worth of usable space.

--matt

On 6/22/07, Richard Elling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Dan Saul wrote:
> Good day ZFS-Discuss,
>
> I am planning to build an array of 30 drives in a RaidZ2 configuration
> with two hot spares. However I read on the internet that this was not
> ideal.
>
> So I ask those who are more experianced then me, what configuration
> would you recommend with ZFS, I would like to have some redundancy but
> still keeping as much disk space open for my uses as possible.
>
> I don't want to mirror 15 drives to 15 drives as that would
> drastically affect my storage capacity.

There are hundreds of possible combinations of 30 drives.
It really comes down to a trade-off of space vs performance vs RAS.
http://blogs.sun.com/relling/entry/zfs_raid_recommendations_space_performance
  -- richard