I have 8 SATA on the motherboard, 4 PCI cards with 4 SATA each, one
PCIe 4x sata card with two, and one PCIe 1x with two. The operating
system itself will be on a hard drive attached to one ATA 100
connector.

Kind of like a "poor man's" data centre, except not that cheap... It
still is estimated to come out at around 6 thousand dollars, which in
retrospect for that amount of sorage these days is actually relatively
good.

I've weighed my options and I am thinking that 3 raidz2 sets is the
best balance of data safety to free space.

Also, in case any of you are wondering why I would need space, most of
it will be HDV footage and render files.

Thank you everyone who contributed here you have been of great assistance.