Albert Chin wrote:
> PSARC 2007/171 will be available in b68. Any documentation anywhere on
> how to take advantage of it?

Should be part of b68.

> Some of the Sun storage arrays contain NVRAM. It would be really nice
> if the array NVRAM would be available for ZIL storage. It would also
> be nice for extra hardware (PCI-X, PCIe card) that added NVRAM storage
> to various sun low/mid-range servers that are currently acting as
> ZFS/NFS servers. Or maybe someone knows of cheap SSD storage that
> could be used for the ZIL? I think several HD's are available with
> SCSI/ATA interfaces.

First, you need a workload where the ZIL has an impact.

The expected improvement comes from separating the ZIL workload, which is
small, sequential iops with a high desire for low latency, from more
random workloads.  If you are using an array with NVRAM, it will hide some
of the issues which lead us to want the separation.  However, if you are
using a bunch of JBODs, then it might be worthwhile to have a device
dedicated to the ZIL.

I expect the workload characterizations to begin soon, once b68 arrives and
people get back from the holiday.  After some testing, we'll have a better
idea of how well it works for a variety of workloads.
  -- richard