On 8/9/07, Mario Goebbels <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> If you're that bent on having maximum redundancy, I think you should
> consider implementing real redundancy. I'm also biting the bullet and
> going mirrors (cheaper than RAID-Z for home, less disks needed to start
> with).

Currently I am, and as I'm stuck with different sized disks I first
have to slice them up to similarly sized chunks and .. well you get
the idea. It's a pain.

> The problem here is that the filesystem, especially with a considerable
> fill factor, can't guarantee the necessary allocation balance across the
> vdevs (that is maintaining necessary free space) to spread the ditto
> blocks as optimal as you'd like. Implementing the required code would
> increase the overhead a lot. Not to mention that ZFS may have to defrag
> on the fly more than not to make sure the ditto spread can be maintained
> balanced.

I Feel that for most purposes, this could be fixed with an allocator
strategy option, like: Prefer vdevs with most free space (which is not
that good a default as it has performance implications).

> And then snapshots on top of that, which are supposed to be physically
> and logically immovable (unless you execute commands affecting the pool,
> like a vdev remove, I suppose), just increase the existing complexity,
> where all that would have to be hammered into.

I'm not that familiar with the code, but i get the feeling that if
vdev remove is a given, rebalance would not be a huge step? The code
to migrate data blocks would already be there.