a few comments below...

Paul B. Henson wrote:
> We are looking for a replacement enterprise file system to handle storage
> needs for our campus. For the past 10 years, we have been happily using DFS
> (the distributed file system component of DCE), but unfortunately IBM
> killed off that product and we have been running without support for over a
> year now. We have looked at a variety of possible options, none of which
> have proven fruitful. We are currently investigating the possibility of a
> Solaris 10/ZFS implementation. I have done a fair amount of reading and
> perusal of the mailing list archives, but I apologize in advance if I ask
> anything I should have already found in a FAQ or other repository.
>
> Basically, we are looking to provide initially 5 TB of usable storage,
> potentially scaling up to 25-30TB of usable storage after successful
> initial deployment. We would have approximately 50,000 user home
> directories and perhaps 1000 shared group storage directories. Access to
> this storage would be via NFSv4 for our UNIX infrastructure, and CIFS for
> those annoying Windows systems you just can't seem to get rid of ;).

50,000 directories aren't a problem, unless you also need 50,000 quotas and
hence 50,000 file systems.  Such a large, single storage pool system will
be an outlier... significantly beyond what we have real world experience
with.

> I read that initial versions of ZFS had scalability issues with such a
> large number of file systems, resulting in extremely long boot times and
> other problems. Supposedly a lot of those problems have been fixed in the
> latest versions of OpenSolaris, and many of the fixes have been backported
> to the official Solaris 10 update 4? Will that version of Solaris
> reasonably support 50 odd thousand ZFS file systems?

There have been improvements in performance and usability.  Not all
performance problems were in ZFS, but large numbers of file systems exposed
other problems.  However, I don't think that this has been characterized.

> I saw a couple of threads in the mailing list archives regarding NFS not
> transitioning file system boundaries, requiring each and every ZFS
> filesystem (50 thousand-ish in my case) to be exported and mounted on the
> client separately. While that might be feasible with an automounter, it
> doesn't really seem desirable or efficient. It would be much nicer to
> simply have one mount point on the client with all the home directories
> available underneath it. I was wondering whether or not that would be
> possible with the NFSv4 pseudo-root feature. I saw one posting that
> indicated it might be, but it wasn't clear whether or not that was a
> current feature or something yet to be implemented. I have no requirements
> to support legacy NFSv2/3 systems, so a solution only available via NFSv4
> would be acceptable.
>
> I was planning to provide CIFS services via Samba. I noticed a posting a
> while back from a Sun engineer working on integrating NFSv4/ZFS ACL support
> into Samba, but I'm not sure if that was ever completed and shipped either
> in the Sun version or pending inclusion in the official version, does
> anyone happen to have an update on that? Also, I saw a patch proposing a
> different implementation of shadow copies that better supported ZFS
> snapshots, any thoughts on that would also be appreciated.

This work is done and, AFAIK, has been integrated into S10 8/07.

> Is there any facility for managing ZFS remotely? We have a central identity
> management system that automatically provisions resources as necessary for
> users, as well as providing an interface for helpdesk staff to modify
> things such as quota. I'd be willing to implement some type of web service
> on the actual server if there is no native remote management; in that case,
> is there any way to directly configure ZFS via a programmatic API, as
> opposed to running binaries and parsing the output? Some type of perl
> module would be perfect.

This is a loaded question.  There is a webconsole interface to ZFS which can
be run from most browsers.  But I think you'll find that the CLI is easier
for remote management.

> We need high availability, so are looking at Sun Cluster. That seems to add
> an extra layer of complexity <sigh>, but there's no way I'll get signoff on
> a solution without redundancy. It would appear that ZFS failover is
> supported with the latest version of Solaris/Sun Cluster? I was speaking
> with a Sun SE who claimed that ZFS would actually operate active/active in
> a cluster, simultaneously writable by both nodes. From what I had read, ZFS
> is not a cluster file system, and would only operate in the active/passive
> failover capacity. Any comments?

Active/passive only.  ZFS is not supported over pxfs and ZFS cannot be
mounted simultaneously from two different nodes.

For most large file servers, people will split the file systems across
servers such that under normal circumstances, both nodes are providing
file service.  This implies two or more storage pools.

> The SE also told me that Sun Cluster requires hardware raid, which
> conflicts with the general recommendation to feed ZFS raw disk. It seems
> such a configuration would either require configuring zdevs directly on the
> raid LUNs, losing ZFS self-healing and checksum correction features, or
> losing space to not only the hardware raid level, but a partially redundant
> ZFS level as well. What is the general consensus on the best way to deploy
> ZFS under a cluster using hardware raid?

The SE is mistaken.  Sun^H^Holaris Cluster supports a wide variety of
JBOD and RAID array solutions.  For ZFS, I recommend a configuration which
allows ZFS to repair corrupted data.

> Any other thoughts/comments on the feasibility or practicality of a
> large-scale ZFS deployment like this?

For today, quotas would be the main hurdle.
I've read some blogs where people put UFS on ZFS zvols to overcome the
quota problem.  However, that seems to be too complicated for me, especially
when high service availability is important.
  -- richard