On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 09:53:00AM -0700, Richard Elling wrote:
> A Darren Dunham wrote:

> >It seems to me that would limit the knowledge to the currently imported
> >machine, not keep it with the pool.
>
> The point is that the name of the vdev doesn't really matter to ZFS.

I would assume the name of the disk doesn't matter to VxVM either.  It's
just a visible name for administrators.

> >Naming of VxVM disks is valuable and powerful because the names are
> >stored in the diskgroup and are visible to any host that imports it.
>
> Ah, but VxVM has the concept of owned disks.  You cannot share a disk
> across VxVM instances (CVM excepted) and each OS can have only one VxVM
> instance.  OTOH, ZFS storage pools are at the vdev level, not the disk
> level, so ZFS is not constrained by the disk boundary.

I see no difference between ZFS and VxVM in these particulars.

Neither one by default allows simultaneous imports, both tend to use
entire disks and have advantages when used that way, both allow a
managed device (ZFS vdev, VxVM disk) to be made out of a portion of a
disk.  (I will admit it is less common to do that on VxVM than it is on
ZFS).

So amend my notion of naming a "disk" to naming a "vdev".

> To take this discussion further, if a disk:vdev mapping is not 1:1, then
> how would vanity naming of disks make any difference to ZFS?

I'm only suggesting that a common use of both is in a 1:1 situation, and
that being able to give names to storage is valuable in that case.  I
don't see that the value is diminished becase we can create a
configuration where it's less obvious how it would be used.

I see ZFS as having slightly less need for it at the moment only because
deallocation of storage can only happen on mirrors or by destroying a
pool.  As the flexibility for moving/removing storage in a pool comes to
be, I think better ways to view information about the disks/vdevs is
going to be more important.

--
Darren Dunham                                           [EMAIL PROTECTED]