Upon further thought, it was probably just defaulting to the first
thing grub could boot -- my laptop is partitioned (in order) xp,
recovery partition, solaris.   The grub menu though lists the options
in order of solaris b62 (zfs /), solaris b74 (also zfs /), recovery
partition, windows.  So my initial assumption is probably wrong -- if
it was actually reading the menu.lst, it probably would have done the
recovery partition.

Specifically, I was experimenting (so yes, highly unsupported), but
essentially on a b62 zfs root system, I did (a bit long):

download b74 dvd + assemble iso
zfs create -o mountpoint=legacy tank/b74
mount -F zfs tank/b74 /a
lofiadm -a b74.iso
mount -F hsfs /dev/lofi/1 /mnt

cp /mnt/Solaris_11/Product/.order /tmp/order
vi /tmp/order
cp /var/sadm/install/admin /tmp/admin
vi /tmp/admin (set everything to overwrite)

for dir in /dev /devices; do
    ( mkdir /a/${dir}; cd $dir; find . -xdev ) | cpio -pd /a/dev
done

cat /tmp/order | while read pkg; do
    pkgadd -a /tmp/admin -n -d /mnt/Solaris_11/Product -R /a ${pkg}
done

cp /etc/path_to_inst /a/etc/path_to_inst
devfsadm -r /a
echo "etc/zfs/zpool.cache" >> /boot/solaris/filelist.ramdisk
echo "etc/zfs/zpool.cache" >> /a/boot/solaris/filelist.ramdisk
bootadm update-archive -R /a

umount /a
umount /mnt
lofiadm -d /dev/lofi/1

mount -F zfs tank /mnt
vi /mnt/boot/grub/menu.lst
(add entry for tank/b74)

reboot

All works well, I see message about pool version being downrev, but
after a few boots and running through it's paces, think 'ok, it's
good', and do zpool upgrade tank... then still use it for a few hours

Then I rebooted, and it would go straight into windows -- no menu or anything.
Once I backtracked, and I suspected it was the zpool upgrade that
broke things (since I never installed the grub in b74), so I burn a
b74 cd (thanks Jesse :P) from xp, boot off it, do a zpool import -f,
and reinstall grub, and all is well.

So I think it was barfing on the zpool version being higher than what
it knew about, but gave no indication that was the issue.