Yep, compression is generally a nice win for backups.  The amount of
compression will depend on the nature of the data.  If it's all mpegs,
you won't see any advantage because they're already compressed.  But
for just about everything else, 2-3x is typical.

As for hot spares, they are indeed global.

Jeff