On 1/18/08, Sengor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I don't see many enterprises adopting ZFS even though it's been
> officially out for a while now. Looking over the mailing list and
> numbers of ZFS patches, it's enough to scare lots of people away.

        I suspect that the amount of changes / discussion is no less
for ZFS than for any new filesystem, just that due to the open source
nature of it the discussions are in public view. The fact that the
issues *are* being discussed is a huge advantage in my mind. At least
we *know* that the issue are being recognized. I don't know how many
times I have filed bug reports on various aspects of an OS and never
get a good response that the issue has been recognized as such.

> Don't get me wrong, I believe ZFS is a great product to have come out
> of Sun's software group, however I don't think it's matured enough to
> be relied upon with mission crititcal systems. ZFS is changing too
> fast to be considered stable in my opinion...

        I expect that UFS was not changing much because it had spent
so many years changing already ;-) Seriously, I was seeing serious
changes in SLVM/UFS up until about a year or two ago. I even ran into
one of the issues created by fixing another issue with SLVM about a
year ago. We are using ZFS in a couple 'production' roles, only one of
which is critical, and we picked ZFS because no other FS we tested
scaled the way we needed it to.

> I still see VxSF (for those who can afford it) being the defacto choice.

        VxFS did not have the performance we needed without lots of
tuning, while ZFS did fine right out of the box. We had moved away
from VxVM/VxFS years ago due to SLVM maturing and giving us the
features we really needed, SLVM was easier to manage, and OS upgrades
are *much* simpler with SLVM than with VxVM/VxFS. There was no real
justification for the cost and more difficult management of VxVM/VxFS.

        For some background, I have been using both VxVM/VxFS and
DiskSuite / SLVM since about 1996.

--
Paul Kraus