On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 10:21:44PM -0800, Jonathan Loran wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> I'm wondering if one of you expert DTrace guru's can help me.  I want to
> write a DTrace script to print out a a histogram of how long IO requests
> sit in the service queue.  I can output the results with the quantize
> method.  I'm not sure which provider I should be using for this.  Does
> anyone know?  I can easily adapt one of the DTrace Toolkit routines for
> this, if I can find the provider.
>
> I'll also throw out the problem I'm trying to meter.  We are using ZFS
> on a large SAN array (4TB).  The pool on this array serves up a lot of
> users, (250 home file systems/directories) and also /usr/local and other
> OTS software.  It works fine most of the time, but then gets overloaded
> during busy periods.  I'm going to reconfigure the array to help with
> this, but I sure would love to have some metrics to know how big a
> difference my tweaks are making.  Basically, the problem users
> experience, when the load shoots up are huge latencies.  An ls on a
> non-cached directory, which usually is instantaneous, will take 20, 30,
> 40 seconds or more.   Then when the storage array catches up, things get
> better.  My clients are not happy campers.
>
> I know, I know, I should have gone with a JBOD setup, but it's too late
> for that in this iteration of this server.  We we set this up, I had the
> gear already, and it's not in my budget to get new stuff right now.
>
> Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

I have faced similar problem (although not exactly the same) and was going to
monitor disk queue with dtrace but couldn't find any docs/urls about it.
Finally asked Chris Gerhard for help. He partially answered via his
blog: http://blogs.sun.com/chrisg/entry/latency_bubble_in_your_io

Maybe it helps you.

Regards
przemol