> All that said, I'm still occasionally tempted to bring it back.
> It may become more relevant with flash memory as a storage medium.

How common would be single on-disk bit flips in 128K blocks? Disk
manufacturers quantized it as a 1 to 10 to the power of god knows what,
which practically means every few years or so. If this is just optimistic
marketing crap, wouldn't it be viable to have a bit flip checker as option
to the scrub mode (with tons of warnings, yes/no confirmation and
recommendation to do this in single user mode)? I'm sure people using no
redundancy (e.g. future OSX users) would appreciate it, saving some grief
if the bad blocks are indeed just single bit flips.

-mg