> I'm not convinced that single bit flips are the common failure mode for disks.

I think the original suggestion might be for bad RAM more than bad disks.  Just
about every home computer does not have ECC RAM, so as ZFS transitions from
enterprise to home, this (optional) feature sounds very worthwhile.

I've experienced some bad RAM in my days, and I've only noticed when
applications started acting weird and crashing.  When I've done memtest86+ on
such sticks of RAM I've found that very few errors (maybe 2-8) are usually
reported.  Not sure if those errors are bad bits or something more granular.

The original suggestion sounds like a useful one for the body of users outside
of Sun's usual ECC RAM-using clientèle.