Now I know this is counterculture, but it's biting me in the back side
right now, and ruining my life.

I have a storage array (iSCSI SAN) that is performing badly, and
requires some upgrades/reconfiguration.  I have a second storage array
that I wanted to set up as a ZFS mirror so I could free the bad array
for upgrades.  The live array is only 15% utilized.  It is 3.82TB in
size.  The second array that I setup up is just short of that at 3.7TB.
Obviously I can't set this up as a mirror, since it's too small.  But
given the low utilization, why the heck not?  The way ZFS works, there
is no reason why you can't shrink a pool with a smaller mirror in the
same way you could grow it by detaching a mirror to larger storage?  It
may require an export/import or the like, but why not?

What I'm left with now is to do more expensive modifications to the new
mirror to increase its size, or using zfs send | receive or rsync to
copy the data, and have an extended down time for our users.  Yuck!

Related to this, if I'm going to generate down time, why don't I just
forget the SAN, and move the whole thing to a NAS solution, using NFS
with Solaris instead on the SAN box?  It's just commodity x86 server
hardware.

My life is ruined by too many choices, and not enough time to evaluate
everything.

Jon

--

-     _____/     _____/      /           - Jonathan Loran -           -
-    /          /           /                IT Manager               -