Shawn Ferry wrote:
On Mar 3, 2008, at 2:14 PM, Jonathan Loran wrote:

Now I know this is counterculture, but it's biting me in the back side
right now, and ruining my life.

I have a storage array (iSCSI SAN) that is performing badly, and
requires some upgrades/reconfiguration.  I have a second storage array
that I wanted to set up as a ZFS mirror so I could free the bad array
for upgrades.  The live array is only 15% utilized.  It is 3.82TB in
size. The second array that I setup up is just short of that at 3.7TB.
Obviously I can't set this up as a mirror, since it's too small.  But
given the low utilization, why the heck not?  The way ZFS works, there
is no reason why you can't shrink a pool with a smaller mirror in the
same way you could grow it by detaching a mirror to larger storage? It
may require an export/import or the like, but why not?

You can't shrink a pool.
Not now at least.  Probably not ever.
What I'm left with now is to do more expensive modifications to the new
mirror to increase its size, or using zfs send | receive or rsync to
copy the data, and have an extended down time for our users.  Yuck!

Why do you need extended downtime to use zfs send|recv? I would think
that the only outage you would need to take would be on cutover to the new
array.

The following may help:
http://blogs.sun.com/constantin/entry/useful_zfs_snapshot_replicator_script

That is very useful, thanks! Most of my work done for me. And I thought I would have to write this myself.

From a tunning perspective however, I'm still thinking about canning the whole iSCSI idea for this particular box and setting up a separate standalone NFS/ZFS server. I can still use this script to get data across.

Jon