On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 11:33:57AM +0000, Darren J Moffat wrote:
> Paul B. Henson wrote:
> > I'm currently prototyping a Solaris file server that will dish out user
> > home directories and group project directories via NFSv4 and Samba.
>
> Why not the in kernel CIFS server ?

E.g., how would one mimic:

[office]
    comment = office
    path = /export/vol1/office
    valid users = @office
    force group = office
    create mode = 660
    directory mode = 770

We already lost this functionality with the introduction of the NFSv4
ACL crap on ZFS and earned a lot of "hate you" feedbacks. Anyway, most
users and staff switched/switching over to windows (we do not support
Linux yet and Solaris is wrt. desktop at least 5 years behind the scene),
so the last 5% of *x users need to live with it.
However, if we would switch to Solaris CIFS (which AFAIK can not
accomplish, what is required) we would have no friends anymore ...

Regards,
jel.
--
Otto-von-Guericke University     http://www.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/
Department of Computer Science   Geb. 29 R 027, Universitaetsplatz 2