>> CIFS uses TCP.  NFS uses either TCP or UDP, and usually UDP by default.
>
> For Sun systems, NFSv3 using 32kByte [rw]size over TCP has been
> the default configuration for 10+ years.  Do you still see clients running
> NFSv2 over UDP?

Yes, I see that TCP is the default in Solaris 9.  Is it also the
default in Solaris 8?.  I do know that tuning mount options made a
considerable difference for FreeBSD 5.X and Apple's OS X Tiger.
Apple's OS X Leopard does not seem to need tuning like previous
versions did.  OS X Tiger and earlier actually sent application writes
directly to NFS so that performance was very dependent on application
write size regardless of client NFS tunings.

Unfortunately, not everyone is using Solaris.  The Solaris 10 NFS
client implementation really screams.

Bob
  • ... abs
    • ... Peter Brouwer, Principal Storage Architect, Office of the Chief Technologist, Sun MicroSystems
      • ... abs
        • ... Richard Elling
        • ... Bob Friesenhahn
          • ... Richard Elling