Chris Siebenmann wrote:
> | Still, I'm curious -- why lots of pools?  Administration would be
> | simpler with a single pool containing many filesystems.
>
>  The short answer is that it is politically and administratively easier
> to use (at least) one pool per storage-buying group in our environment.

I think the root cause of the issue is that multiple groups are buying
physical rather than virtual storage yet it is all being attached to a
single system.  I will likely be a huge up hill battle but: if all the
physical storage could be purchased by one group and a combination of
ZFS reservations and quotas used on "top level" (eg one level down from
the pool) datasets to allocate the virtual storage, and appropriate
amounts charged to the groups, you could technical be able to use ZFS
how it was intended with much fewer (hopefully 1 or 2) pools.

--
Darren J Moffat