| There are two issues here.  One is the number of pools, but the other
| is the small amount of RAM in the server.  To be honest, most laptops
| today come with 2 GBytes, and most servers are in the 8-16 GByte range
| (hmmm... I suppose I could look up the average size we sell...)

 Speaking as a sysadmin (and a Sun customer), why on earth would I have
to provision 8 GB+ of RAM on my NFS fileservers? I would much rather
have that memory in the NFS client machines, where it can actually be
put to work by user programs.

(If I have decently provisioned NFS client machines, I don't expect much
from the NFS fileserver's cache. Given that the clients have caches too,
I believe that the server's cache will mostly be hit for things that the
clients cannot cache because of NFS semantics, like NFS GETATTR requests
for revalidation and the like.)

        - cks