OK, I tried replying by email, and got a message that a moderator will approve
the message sometime... but that was a few hours ago, so I'm reverting to this
forum software again :)

Here's the reply I emailed:

Hi Richard,

I ran the format comand, selected the number of one of the disks in the RAIDZ
vdev and then selected the 'inquiry' subcommand, and here's the output:

format> inquiry
Vendor:   ATA
Product:  WDC WD7500AAKS-0
Revision: 4G30
format>

So it looks like the drive firmware is '4G30'

Now I will hunt around to see if there are any known problems with that
firmware version. However, I already looked yesterday on the Western Digital
site for these drives, model # WD7500AAKS, and I didn't see any firmware
available to download...

I emailed Western Digital now to enquire about drive firmware for this drive
model, so I'll see what they say...

Simon