Wow, thanks Dave. Looks like you've had this hell too :)

So, that makes me happy that the disks and pool are probably OK, but it does
seem an issue with the NVidia MCP 55 chipset, or at least perhaps the nv_sata
driver. From reading the bug list below, it seems the problem might be a more
general disk driver problem, perhaps not just limited to the nv_sata driver.

I looked at the post you listed, and followed a chain of bug reports:

http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6658565 (Accepted)
http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6642154 (dup of
6662881)
http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6662881 (fixed in
snv_87)
http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6669134 (fixed in
snv_90)
http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6662400 (dup of
6669134)
http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6671523 (Accepted)
http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6672202 (Need more
info)

Maybe I'll try snv_87 again, or just wait until snv_90 is released.

My work around for until this issue is fixed is to use 'rsync' to do intra-pool
copies as it seems to stress the system less and thus prevents ZFS file system
lockup.

Thanks to everyone who helped.

I might post a link to this thread in the storage-discuss group to see if I can
get any further  help, if anyone there knows any more details on this.

That Supermicro AOC MV8 card looks good, but I would prefer not to have to buy
new hardware to fix what should hopefully turn out to be a driver problem.