[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on 05/21/2008 10:38:10 AM:

> On May 21, 2008, at 11:15 AM, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
>
> > I encountered an issue that people using OS-X systems as NFS clients
> > need to be aware of.  While not strictly a ZFS issue, it may be
> > encounted most often by ZFS users since ZFS makes it easy to support
> > and export per-user filesystems.  The problem I encountered was when
> > using ZFS to create exported per-user filesystems and the OS-X
> > automounter to perform the necessary mount magic.
> >
> > OS-X creates hidden ".DS_Store" directories in every directory which
> > is accessed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.DS_Store).
> >
> > OS-X decided that it wanted to create the path "/home/.DS_Store" and
> > it would not take `no' for an answer.  First it would try to create
> > "/home/.DS_Store" and then it would try an alternate name.  Since the
> > automounter was used, there would be an automount request for
> > "/home/.DS_Store", which does not exist on the server so the mount
> > request would fail.  Since OS-X does not take 'no' for an answer,
> > there would be subsequent thousands of back to back mount requests.
> > The end result was that 'mountd' was one of the top three resource
> > consumers on my system, there would be bursts of high network traffic
> > (1500 packets/second), and the affected OS-X system would operate
> > more strangely than normal.
> >
> > The simple solution was to simply create a "/home/.DS_Store" directory
> > on the server so that the mount request would succeed.
>
> Did you try this?
> http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1629
>
> -Andy

Andy,

      That change does indeed turn off the .DS_Store creation.  There are
side effects to this change that may or may not be acceptable to you in
different environments.  Some of them are:

* No extended resource information is stored for files.
* Folder and File coloring/placement/comments/etc are not stored.
* Some mac apps (still!) use this resource fork data section is silly and
unexpected ways (hiding real data outside of the file).

      In our case,  it made sense to disable.  We did have users complain
about the loss of sorting or per folder settings though.

-Wade