On Wed, 21 May 2008, Andy Lubel wrote:

>> The simple solution was to simply create a "/home/.DS_Store" directory
>> on the server so that the mount request would succeed.
>
> Did you try this?
> http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1629

No, I decided not to use that since it has negative impact on OS-X
applications and a few .DS_Store files don't bother me.  I was a bit
dubious that it would even work since I have had OS-X on the network
for three years now and have noticed that each OS-X release (Panther,
Tiger, Leopard) behaves quite differently.

Obviously a "/home/.DS_Store" directory can not store the file content
that OS-X planned to put there but it makes the mountd problem go
away. :-)

Bob