On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 12:48 PM, Orvar Korvar
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In a PCI-X slot, you will reach something like 1.5GB/sec which should suffice
> for most needs. Maybe it is cheaper to buy that card + PCI-X motherboard
> (only found on server mobos) than buying a SAS or PCI-express, if you want to
> achieve speed?

That's my thought as well. I'm going to be putting together a home NAS
based on OpenSolaris using the following:
1       SUPERMICRO CSE-743T-645B Black Chassis
1       ASUS M2N-LR AM2 NVIDIA nForce Professional 3600 ATX Server Motherboard
1       SUPERMICRO AOC-SAT2-MV8 64-bit PCI-X133MHz SATA Controller Card
1       AMD Athlon X2 4850e 2.5GHz Socket AM2 45W Dual-Core Processor Model
ADH4850DOBOX
1       Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) ECC
Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit Server Memory Model CT2KIT25672AA667
8       Western Digital Caviar GP WD10EACS 1TB 5400 to 7200 RPM SATA
3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Subtotal:       $2,386.88

I may get another drive for the OS as well, or boot off of a
CF-card/IDE adapter like this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812186038

-B

--
Brandon High [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"The good is the enemy of the best." - Nietzsche