I'll provide you with the results of these commands soon. But for the record,
solaris does hang (dies out of memory, can't type anything on the console,
etc). What I can do is boot with -k and get to kmdb when it's hung (BREAK over
serial line). I have a crashdump I can upload.

I checked the disks with the drive manufacturers' tests and found no errors.
The controller is an NForce4 SATA on-board. zpool version is the latest (10).
The non-default settings were removed, these were only for testing. No other
non-default eeprom settings (other than the serial console options, but these
were added after the problem started).