How about SPARC - can it do zfs install+root yet, or if not, when?
Just got a couple of nice 1TB SAS drives, and I think I'd prefer to
have a mirrored pool where zfs owns the entire drives, if possible.
(I'd also eventually like to have multiple bootable zfs filesystems in
that pool, corresponding to multiple versions.)

Is/will all that be possible?  Would it be ok to pre-create the pool,
and if so, any particular requirements?

Currently running snv_81 on a Sun Blade 2000; SAS/SATA controller
is an LSI Logic SAS 3800X 8-port, in the 66MHz slot.  I chose SAS drives
for the first two (of 8) trusting SCSI support to probably be more mature
and functional than SATA support, but the rest (as I'm willing to part with the
$$)
will probably be SATA for price.  The current two SAS drives are Seagate
ST31000640SS (which I just used smartctl to confirm have SMART support
including temperature reporting).  Enclosure is an Enhance E8-ML (no
enclosure services support).