Hi Darren,

Darren J Moffat wrote:
> Jan Damborsky wrote:
>> Thank you very much all for this valuable input.
>>
>> Based on the collected information, I would take
>> following approach as far as calculating size of
>> swap and dump devices on ZFS volumes in Caiman
>> installer is concerned.
>>
>> [1] Following formula would be used for calculating
>>     swap and dump sizes:
>>
>> size_of_swap = size_of_dump = MAX(512 MiB, MIN(physical_memory/2, 32
>> GiB))
>>
>> User can reconfigure this after installation is done on live
>> system by "zfs set" command.
>
> If the min space isn't available do NOT abort the install just
> continue without creating swap space, but put a small warning
> somewhere suitable.
> Don't ask the user to confirm this and don't make a big deal about it.

I think it is necessary to have some absolute minimum
and not allow installer to proceed if user doesn't
provide at least minimum required, as we have to make
sure that installation doesn't fail because of space
issues.

As this lower bound is not hard coded but dynamically calculated
by the installer according to the size of bits to be installed,
it reflects actual needs as far as necessary minimum space is
required - it is currently ~4GiB.

However, the absolute minimum always includes minimum swap space,
which is now 512 MiB. I think the algorithm might be modified,
so that swap space is not created if space doesn't allow it,
but to be honest I don't know if this is what we want to allow
for normal user.

Thank you,
Jan