Darren J Moffat wrote:
> jan damborsky wrote:
>> I think it is necessary to have some absolute minimum
>> and not allow installer to proceed if user doesn't
>> provide at least minimum required, as we have to make
>> sure that installation doesn't fail because of space
>> issues.
>
> I very strongly disagree.
>
> Neither swap or dump are mandatory for running Solaris.

I agree with you in this point. Actually, the posted
proposal count with dump to be optional.

I am sorry about the confusion - by minimum space required
I meant minimum disk space for installation, not minimum swap
or dump space.

>> As this lower bound is not hard coded but dynamically calculated
>> by the installer according to the size of bits to be installed,
>> it reflects actual needs as far as necessary minimum space is
>> required - it is currently ~4GiB.
>
> Which is unrealistically too high given that the actual amount of bits
> that are put on disk by a minimal install.

Installer currently uses following formula for
calculating minimum required disk space:

min_size = image_size * 1.2 + MIN_SWAP_SPACE,

where MIN_SWAP_SPACE is 512MiB.

>> However, the absolute minimum always includes minimum swap space,
>> which is now 512 MiB. I think the algorithm might be modified,
>> so that swap space is not created if space doesn't allow it,
>> but to be honest I don't know if this is what we want to allow
>
> Why not ?  swap is not mandatory.

I agree - I am just thinking, if it is fine in general to allow
normal non-experienced user (who is the target audience for Slim
installer) to run system without swap. To be honest, I don't know,
since I am not very experienced in this area.
If people agree that this is not issue at all, I don't have any
objections against making swap optional.

> If there is enough space for the packages that will be installed but
> not enough for swap or dump then the installation should proceed, it
> just wouldn't create swap or dump.

Please see above.

Thank you,
Jan