On Thu, Jul 03, 2008 at 01:43:36PM +0300, Mertol Ozyoney wrote:
> You are right that J series do not have nvram onboard. However most Jbods
> like HPS's MSA series have some nvram.
> The idea behind not using nvram on the Jbod's is
>
> -) There is no use to add limited ram to a JBOD as disks already have a lot
> of cache.
> -) It's easy to design a redundant Jbod without nvram. If you have nvram and
> need redundancy you need to design more complex HW and more complex firmware
> -) Bateries are the first thing to fail
> -) Servers already have too much ram

Well, if the server attached to the J series is doing ZFS/NFS,
performance will increase with zfs:zfs_nocacheflush=1. But, without
battery-backed NVRAM, this really isn't "safe". So, for this usage case,
unless the server has battery-backed NVRAM, I don't see how the J series
is good for ZFS/NFS usage.

--
albert chin ([EMAIL PROTECTED])