Infact using NVRam in a JBOD is less safe as most of the Jbods that use
NvRam have only one NvRam not being mirrored.
Therefore if NvRam goes bad you quarantee inconsistancy. However ZFS is
finetuned in every layer for all or nothing commit kind of working.
Therefore ZFs have the internal mechanisms to be consistant at the time of a
device failure. If you put a device between storage and ZFS that ZFs can not
control , that device should be redundant and should be able to quarantee
consistancy and Jbod NvRam modules are very problematic. I have a customer
who had 80 TB on Lustre system and who system locked because of a battery
problem and it took them a week to figure out what went wrong.

Mertol

Mertol Ozyoney
Storage Practice - Sales Manager

Sun Microsystems, TR