On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 3:21 PM, Ian Collins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>  2. get four disks and do raidz2.
>>
>>     In addition to increasing MTTF, this is good because if you need
>>     to leave in a hurry, you can grab two of the disks and still leave
>>     behind a working file server.  I think this is important for home
>>     setups.
>>
> I'd use mirrors rather than raidz2.  You should see better performance and
> you really can grab two of the disks and still leave behind a working file
> server!

With raidz2, you can grab any two disks. With mirroring, you have to
grab the correct two.

Personally, with only 4 drives I would use raidz to increase the
available storage or mirroring for better performance rather than use
raidz2.

>>  3. burn in the raidset for at least one month before trusting the
>>     disks to not all fail simultaneously.
>>
> Has anyone ever seen this happen for real?  I seriously doubt it will happen
> with new drives.

My new workstation in the office had it's (sole) 400gb drive die after
about 2 months. It does happen. Production lots share failure
characteristics.

-B

--
Brandon High [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"The good is the enemy of the best." - Nietzsche