On Wed, 23 Jul 2008, Brandon High wrote:

> With raidz2, you can grab any two disks. With mirroring, you have to
> grab the correct two.
>
> Personally, with only 4 drives I would use raidz to increase the
> available storage or mirroring for better performance rather than use
> raidz2.

If mirroring is chosen, then it is also useful to install two
interface cards and split the mirrors across the cards so that if a
card (or its driver) fails, the system keeps on running.  I was
reminded of this just a few days ago when my dual-channel fiber
channel card locked up and the system paniced since the ZFS pool was
not accessible.  With two interface cards there would not have been a
panic.

With raidz and raidz2 it is not easy to achieve the system robustness
possible when using mirrors.

Bob