Hmmn, that *sounds* as if you are saying you've a very-high-redundancy
RAID1 mirror, 4 disks deep, on an 'enterprise-class tier 2 storage' array
that doesn't support RAID 1+0 or 0+1.

  That sounds weird: the 2540 supports RAID levels 0, 1, (1+0), 3 and 5,
and deep mirrors are normally only used on really fast equipment in
mission-critical tier 1 storage...

  Are you sure you don't mean you have raid 0 (stripes) 4 disks wide,
each stripe presented as a LUN?

  If you really have 4-deep RAID 1, you have a configuration that will
perform somewhat slower than any single disk, as the array launches
4 writes to 4 drives in parallel, and returns success when they
all complete.

  If you had 4-wide RAID 0, with mirroring done at the host, you would
have a configuration that would (probabilistically) perform better than
a single drive when writing to each side of the mirror, and the write
would return success when the slowest side of the mirror completed.

 --dave (puzzled!) c-b

Tharindu Rukshan Bamunuarachchi wrote:
> We do not use raidz*. Virtually, no raid or stripe through OS.
>
> We have 4 disk RAID1 volumes.  RAID1 was created from CAM on 2540.
>
> 2540 does not have RAID 1+0 or 0+1.
>
> cheers
> tharindu
>
> Brandon High wrote:
>
>>On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 10:35 PM, Tharindu Rukshan Bamunuarachchi
>><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>

>>>Dear Mark/All,
>>>
>>>Our trading system is writing to local and/or array volume at 10k
>>>messages per second.
>>>Each message is about 700bytes in size.
>>>
>>>Before ZFS, we used UFS.
>>>Even with UFS, there was evey 5 second peak due to fsflush invocation.
>>>
>>>However each peak is about ~5ms.
>>>Our application can not recover from such higher latency.
>>>

>>Is the pool using raidz, raidz2, or mirroring? How many drives are you using?
>>
>>-B

> *******************************************************************************************************************************************************************
>
> "The information contained in this email including in any attachment is
> confidential and is meant to be read only by the person to whom it is
> addressed. If you are not the intended recipient(s), you are prohibited from
> printing, forwarding, saving or copying this email. If you have received this
> e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this e-mail
> and its attachments from your computer."

David Collier-Brown            | Always do right. This will gratify
Sun Microsystems, Toronto      | some people and astonish the rest
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                 |                      -- Mark Twain
(905) 943-1983, cell: (647) 833-9377, (800) 555-9786 x56583
bridge: (877) 385-4099 code: 506 9191#