On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 11:03 PM, Ross <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >Going back to your USB remove test, if you protect that disk
> >at the ZFS level, such as a mirror, then when the disk is removed
> >then it will be detected as removed and zfs status will show its
> >state as "removed" and the pool as "degraded" but it will continue
> >to function, as expected.
> >-- richard
>
> Except it doesn't.  The reason I'm doing these single disk tests is that
> pulling a single SATA drive out of my main pool (5 sets of 3 way mirrors)
> hangs the whole pool (or if I set failmode=continue, crashes solaris, even
> though it's a data pool and holds nothing the OS needs at all).
>
> I also saw before with mirrored iSCSI drives that pulling the network cable
> on one hung the ZFS pool for 3 minutes.  ZFS handles checksum errors great,
> but it doesn't seem to cope with the loss of devices at all.

This conversation piques my interest.. I have been reading a lot about
Opensolaris/Solaris for the last few weeks.
Have even spoken to Sun storage techs about bringing in Thumper/Thor for our
storage needs.
I have recently brought online a Dell server with a DAS (14 SCSI drives).
This will be part of my tests now, physically removing a member of the pool
before issuing the removal command for that particular drive.

One other issue I have now also, how do you physically locate a
failing/failed drive in ZFS?
With hardware RAID sets, if the RAID controller itself detects the error, it
will inititate a BLINK command to that drive, so the individual drive is now
flashing red/amber/whatever on the RAID enclosure.
How would this be possible with ZFS? Say you have a JBOD enclosure, (14,
hell maybe 48 drives).
Knowing c0d0xx failed is no longer helpful, if only ZFS catches an error.
Will you be able to isolate the drive quickly, to replace it? Or will you be
going "does the enclosure start at logical zero... left to right.. hrmmm"

Thanks

--
Brent Jones
[EMAIL PROTECTED]