Hey Brent,

On the Sun hardware like the Thumper you do get a nice bright blue "ready to
remove" led as soon as you issue the "cfgadm -c unconfigure xxx" command.  On
other hardware it takes a little more care, I'm labelling our drive bays up
*very* carefully to ensure we always remove the right drive.  Stickers are your
friend, mine will probably be labelled "sata1/0", "sata1/1", "sata1/2", etc.

I know Sun are working to improve the LED support, but I don't know whether
that support will ever be extended to 3rd party hardware:
http://blogs.sun.com/eschrock/entry/external_storage_enclosures_in_solaris

I'd love to use Sun hardware for this, but while things like x2200 servers are
great value for money, Sun don't have anything even remotely competative to a
standard 3U server with 16 SATA bays.  The x4240 is probably closest, but is at
least double the price.  Even the J4200 arrays are more expensive than this
entire server.

Ross

PS.  Once you've tested SCSI removal, could you add your results to my thread,
would love to hear how that
went.http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=67837&tstart=0