On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 8:50 PM, Toby Thain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> * NetApp's block-appended checksum approach appears similar but is in fact
> much stronger. Like many arrays, NetApp formats its drives with 520-byte
> sectors. It then groups them into 8-sector blocks: 4K of data (the WAFL
> filesystem blocksize) and 64 bytes of checksum. When WAFL reads a block it
> compares the checksum to the data just like an array would, but there's a
> key difference: it does this comparison after the data has made it through
> the I/O path, so it validates that the block made the journey from platter
> to memory without damage in transit.*
>

> This is not end to end protection; they are merely saying the data arrived
> in the storage subsystem's memory verifiably intact. The data still has a
> long way to go before it reaches the application.
>
> --Toby

As it does in ANY fileserver scenario, INCLUDING zfs.  He is building a
FILESERVER.  This is not an APPLICATION server.  You seem to be stuck on
this idea that everyone is using ZFS on the server they're running the
application.  That does a GREAT job of creating disparate storage islands,
something EVERY enterprise is trying to get rid of.  Not create more of.

--Tim