Moore, Joe wrote:
> Toby Thain Wrote:
>> ZFS allows the architectural option of separate storage without losing end
>> to end protection, so the distinction is still important. Of course this
>> means ZFS itself runs on the application server, but so what?
>
> The OP in question is not running his network clients on Solaris or
> OpenSolaris or FreeBSD or MacOSX, but rather a collection of Linux
> workstations.  Unless there's been a recent port of ZFS to Linux, that makes
> a big What.
>
> Given the fact that NFS, as implemented in his client systems, provides no
> end-to-end reliability, the only data protection that ZFS has any control
> over is after the write() is issued by the NFS server process.

NFS can provided on the wire protection if you enable Kerberos support
(there are usually 3 options for Kerberos: krb5 (or sometimes called
krb5a) which is Auth only, krb5i which is Auth plus integrity provided
by the RPCSEC_GSS layer, krb5p Auth+Integrity+Encrypted data.

I have personally seen krb5i NFS mounts catch problems when there was a
router causing failures that the TCP checksum don't catch.

--
Darren J Moffat