[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on 10/07/2008 10:59:06 AM:

> On Tue, 7 Oct 2008, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >>>
> >> Wouldn't it be great if programmers could just focus on writing
> >> code rather than having to worry about getting sued over whether
> >> someone else is able or not to make a derivative program from their
> >> code?
> >
> > Yep, but in THIS world it *is* an important consideration.
>
> Definitely.  Copyrights and licenses should always be observed and
> respected.  In today's "MP3" generation where copyright has been
> reduced by pimply-faced teenagers to less value than toilet paper,
> many people have taken up a habit of not respecting anyone's
> copyrights or licenses.  Meanwhile, the legal system still supports
> copyrights and violating products may be shut down overnight due to
> court order.
>
> If a copyright or license violation is suspected, then the copyright
> holder should be contacted since the copyright holder is the only one
> with the legal right to persue violators.  There is little value to
> "guilty until proven innocent" attacks on mailing lists.

Bob,

      The mailing list happens to be run by the copyright holder and
interested parties (zfs authors) with the ability to act inside the
copyright holder are on this list -- it seems to be a valid medium to
notify. *shrug*  There are no "guilty until proven innocent" attacks here,
just a few people that have noted (and even contacted the vendor to verify)
that the code is not available as it is expected to be under common views
of CDDL.  Further, the discussion has expanded into what people believe the
CDDL requirements to be.  Al of this discussion could be headed off with a
simple "we are on it" from one of the parties involved.

-Wade