> relling wrote:
> This question makes no sense to me.  Perhaps you can
> rephrase?

To take a really obnoxious case:
lets say I have a 1 gigabyte filesystem. It has 1.5 gigabytes of physical disk
allocated to it (so it is 66% full).
It has 10x100meg files in it.

"Something bad happens", and I need to do a restore.
The most recent zsend data, has all 10 files in it. 9 of them have not been
touched since the zsend was done.

Now, since zfs has data integrity checks, yadda yadda yadda, it should be able
to determine relatively easily, "The file on the zfs send, is the exact same
file on disk".
So, when I do a zfs receive, it would be "really nice", if there were some way
for zfs to figure out, lets say, "recieve to a snapshot of the filesystem; then
take advantage of the fact that it is a snapshot, to NOT write on disk, the 9
unaltered files that are in the snapshot; just allocate for the altered one".

it would be really nice for zfs to have the smarts to do this, WITHOUT having
to potentially throw a laaarge amount of extra hard disk space for snapshots. I
want the "snapshot" space to be allocated on TAPE, not hard disk, if you see
what I mean.
If one 100meg file gets replace every 2 days, I wouldnt want to use snapshots
on the filesystem, if there was a disk space limitation.

(I know there are solutions such as samfs for this, but. I'm looking for a zfs
solution, if possible, please?)

and help with the other parts of my original email, would still be appreciated
:)