Hi Darren,

That's storing a dump of a snapshot on external media, but files
within it are not directly accessible.  The work Tim et all are doing
is actually putting a live ZFS filesystem on external media and
sending snapshots to it.

A live ZFS filesystem is far more useful (and reliable) than a dump,
and having the ability to restore individual files from that would be
even better.

It still doesn't help the OP, but I think that's what he was after.

Ross