On Mon, Dec 08, 2008 at 10:39:45AM +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >Ok, thanx for your input, guys. So Bvians comment still is valid. I
> >tell the Linux guys that "Open Solaris on 32 bit will fragment the
> >memory to the point that you have to reboot once in a while. It
> >shouldnt corrupt your data when it runs out of RAM."

I've not had that particular problem.  My RAM doesn't get fragmented, I'm just
very limited in the amount of memory that can be used by the ARC cache which has
a significant impact on my system's performance.

> But that system had only 512 MB memory and I made the kernel's VA bigger
> than the 512 MB, so it could map twice or three times that.
>
> But it is a problem when you more memory then you can map (1GB will
> probably still work but 2GB is "too big".

This here is my problem.  I've got 4GB of RAM in the box.  It's.... painful. ;)

> I've now upgraded the system to an atom board (I don't care all that much
> about its performance) but it does run 64 bit.

I need to do something similar I believe.

-brian
--
"Coding in C is like sending a 3 year old to do groceries. You gotta
tell them exactly what you want or you'll end up with a cupboard full of