On 12-Dec-08, at 3:38 PM, Johan Hartzenberg wrote:

The only bit that I understand about why HW raid "might" be bad is that if it had access to the disks behind a HW RAID LUN, then _IF_ zfs were to encounter corrupted data in a read, it will probably be able to re-construct that data. This is at the cost of doing the parity calculations on a general purpose CPU,

Except that it's not just parity - ZFS checksums where RAID-N does not (although I've heard that some RAID systems checksum "somewhere" - not end-to-end of course).

Call me a fanboy if you will, but ZFS is different from hw RAID. I am not an "automatic denier" of ZFS bugs or flaws, but I do acknowledge it's more revolution than evolution. It's software. We only need be patient while it matures. :)

--Toby