On Mon, 15 Dec 2008, Ross Smith wrote:

> I'm not sure I follow how that can happen, I thought ZFS writes were
> designed to be atomic?  They either commit properly on disk or they
> don't?

Yes, this is true.  One reason why people complain about corrupted ZFS
pools is because they have hardware which writes data in a different
order than what was requested.  Some hardware claims to have written
the data but instead it has been secretly cached for later (or perhaps
for never) and data blocks get written in some other order.  It seems
that ZFS is capable of working reliably with "cheap" hardware but not
with wrongly designed hardware.

Bob