On Fri, 12 Dec 2008, Toby Thain wrote:

>> 1. I don't think your impressions nor Anton's and mine are ``useless''
>
> Alright, I agree I should retract the 'useless' but I would keep the
> 'unscientific'.

There is no need to retract the 'useless'.  By the same useless
measure, George Bush Jr has done a fantastic job at dealing with world
terror since there has not been a serious attack on US soil by islamic
terrorists since 2002.  One might think that this impression is
significant yet it is not since the previous attack on US soil was in
1993, which was about 9 years and we have only gone about 6 thus far.
By statistical measures, George Bush Jr could have done absolutely
nothing and it is likely that nothing bad would have happened at all.
There is insufficient evidence to suggest one conclusion vs another.

This example shows the dangers of using illogical thinking to
presumably reach a logical conclusion.  It is particularly dangerous
to exhibit illogical thinking in public where everyone can see.

Bob