Michael McKnight wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a serious problem and need some assistance.  I was doing a rolling
> upgrade of a raidz1, replacing 320GB drives with 1.5TB drives (ie. zpool
> replace).  I had replaced three of the drives and they had resilvered without
> errors and then I started on the fourth one.  It went downhill from there...
> while the fourth disk was resilvering, one of the others started throwing
> errors... lots and lots of them... to the point that the system is unusable.
>
> So, what I have are the four original 320GB drives that I would like to bring
> back online (on another server).  The pool was unmounted when I was replacing
> the old units with the new ones, so the data should have been static and I
> would expect to be able to bring the pool online on another server.
>
> The problem I am running into is that the pool seems to be remembering the
> 1.5TB drive names/locations/etc.  So, instead of using the new controller
> locations in the new system, the pool is insisting on looking for the old
> devices.  For example:
>
> In the new system, the drives are c5d0 c5d1 c6d0 c6d1 -- in the old system,
> the drives were c2d0s0 c3d0s0 c4d0s0 c5d0s0.
>
> I have tried everything I can come up with to get the pool to import, but it
> just wont do it.  I need to know how to get zpool to simply import them as I
> specify the new devices.  When I try it, it complains that the pool doesn't
> exist... that's because it wont let me import it!  I'm stuck and I need help.
>
> I have tried import -f, import -d, import -f -d ... nothing works.
>
> I have a lot of data on those drives that I couldn't back up because I don't
> have a backup system big enough to handle it all.  I'd really like to salvage
> that data if at all possible.  I was trusting ZFS to handle it and until now,
> it did an excellent job!
>
> It seems pretty simple... shouldn't each drive be labeled as part of a pool?
> When I do a zdb -l, I see the labels and pool identifiers, but I also see the
> old device names hard-coded into the label.  How can I get zpool to simply
> see that all four drives are members of the same pool and build new device
> locations?

If you were doing a rolling upgrade, I suspect the old disks are all
horribly out of sync with each other?

If that is the problem, then if the filesystem(s) have a snapshot that
existed when all the old disks were still online, I wonder if it might
be possible to roll them back to it by hand, so it looks like the
current live filesystem? I don't know if this is possible with zdb.

--
Andrew