Folks feedback on my spam communications was that -- I jump from point to
point too fast and am lazy to explain and often somewhat misleading.    ;-)

On the NetApp thing, please note they had their time talking about SW RAID
can be as good as/better than HW RAID.  However, from a customer point of
view, the math is done in a reversed fashion.

Roughly,
for a 3-9 (99.9%) availability, customer has 8 hours of annual downtime, and
RAID could help;
for a 4-9 (99.99%) availability, customer has 45 minutes of annual downtime,
and RAID alone won't do, H/A clustering may be needed (without clustering, a
big iron box, such as ES70000, can do 99.98%, but hard to reach 99.99%, in
our past field studies).
for a 5-9 (99.999%) availability, customer has 5 minutes of annual downtime,
and H/A clustering with automated stateful failover is a must.

So, for every additional 9, the customer needs to learn additional pages in
the NetApp price book, which I think that's the real issue with NetApp
(enterprise customers with the checkbooks may have absolutely no idea about
how RAID checksum would impact their SLO/SLA costs.)

I have not done a cost study on ZFS towards the 9999999s, but I guess we can
do better with more system and I/O based assurance over just RAID checksum,
so customers can get to more 99998888s with less redundant hardware and
software feature enablement fees.

Also note that the upcoming NetApp ONTAP/GX converged release would
hopefully improve the NetApp solution cost structure at some level, but I
cannot discuss that until it's officially released [beyond keep screaming
"6920+ZFS"].
;-)

best,