On Fri, 2 Jan 2009, JZ wrote:

> I have not done a cost study on ZFS towards the 9999999s, but I guess we can
> do better with more system and I/O based assurance over just RAID checksum,
> so customers can get to more 99998888s with less redundant hardware and
> software feature enablement fees.

Even with a fairly trival ZFS setup using hot-swap drive bays, the
primary factor impacting "availability" are non-disk related factors
such as motherboard, interface cards, and operating system bugs.
Unless you step up to an exotic fault-tolerant system ($$$), an
entry-level server will offer as much availability as a mid-range
server, and many "enterprise" servers.  In fact, the simple
entry-level server may offer more availability due to being simpler.
The charts on Richard Elling's blog make that pretty obvious.

Is is best not to confuse "data integrity" with "availability".

Bob