On 01/08/09 06:28, Mike Futerko wrote:
> I'd have a few more proposals how to improve zfs list if they don't
> contravene the concept of zfs list command.
>
> Currently zfs list returns error "operation not applicable to datasets
> of this type" if you try to list for ex.: "zfs list -t snapshot
> file/system" returns above error while it could return what you actually
> asked - the list of all snapshots of "file/system".

When a specific dataset is provided, zfs list does not return info about
child datasets or snapshots unless the -r option is specified.  So to get
the list of all snapshots of file/system:

    zfs list -r -t snapshot file/system

In this particular case, it might be possible for zfs list to infer that
the -r option was intended.

> Similar case is if
> you try "zfs list file/sys...@snapshot" - can zfs be more smart to
> return the snapshot instead of error message if dataset name contains
> "@" in its name?

zfs list already handles this case correctly.  If you are getting an error
message then you are probably hitting CR 6758338 which is fixed in SNV_106.

> Other thing is zfs list performance... even if you want to get the list
> of snapshots with no other properties "zfs list -oname -t snapshot -r
> file/system" it still takes quite long time if there are hundreds of
> snapshots, while "ls /file/system/.zfs/snapshot" returns immediately.
> Can this also be improved somehow please?

The fix for CR 6755389 (also in SNV_106) should significantly improve the
performance of zfs list when there are hundreds or thousands (or hundreds
of thousands) of datasets and/or snapshots.

-- Rich
  • [zfs-discuss]... Chris Gerhard
    • Re: [zfs... Richard Morris - Sun Microsystems - Burlington United States
      • Re: ... Mike Futerko
        • ... Richard Morris - Sun Microsystems - Burlington United States
      • Re: ... Tim Foster
        • ... Richard Morris - Sun Microsystems - Burlington United States
          • ... Will Murnane
            • ... Ross
              • ... Richard Morris - Sun Microsystems - Burlington United States
                • ... Ross Smith
          • ... Chris Gerhard