On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 14:38, Richard Morris - Sun Microsystems -
Burlington United States <richard.mor...@sun.com> wrote:
> As you point out, the -c option is user friendly while the -depth (or
> maybe -d) option is more general.  There have been several requests for
> the -c option.  Would anyone prefer the -depth option?  In what cases
> would this be used?
>
> I was thinking when I logged the bug, that -depth (or -d) would be
> useful in cases where you've got a "jurassic-like" filesystem layout,
> and are interested in seeing just one or two levels.
What about an optional argument to -c specifying the depth:
zfs list tank
  tank
zfs list -c tank
  tank
  tank/home
  tank/foo
zfs list -c 2 tank
  tank
  tank/home
  tank/home/Ireland
  tank/home/UK
  tank/home/France
  tank/home/Germany
  tank/foo
  tank/f...@now
  tank/foo/bar
That leaves -d free, at the expense of ugliness in the argument
parsing.  I would also suggest that 2 is a more logical number than 3
for the last set listed if -c is given an argument, since I would
think of -c as "dataset and children", and -c 2 as "dataset and
children squared": grandchildren, as compared to "datasets of depth
3".

I do think having the more general form available is a good thing to have.

Will
  • [zfs-discuss]... Chris Gerhard
    • Re: [zfs... Richard Morris - Sun Microsystems - Burlington United States
      • Re: ... Mike Futerko
        • ... Richard Morris - Sun Microsystems - Burlington United States
      • Re: ... Tim Foster
        • ... Richard Morris - Sun Microsystems - Burlington United States
          • ... Will Murnane
            • ... Ross
              • ... Richard Morris - Sun Microsystems - Burlington United States
                • ... Ross Smith
          • ... Chris Gerhard