Orvar Korvar wrote:
> I understand Fishworks has a L2ARC cache, which as I have understood it, is a
> SSD drive as a cache?

Fishworks is an engineering team, I hear they have many L2ARCs in
their lab :-)  Yes, the Sun Storage 7000 series systems can have
read-optimized SSDs for use as L2ARC devices.

> I have 5 terabyte discs in a raidz1. Could I add one SSD drive in a similar
> vein?

Yes. You should look for a read-optimized SSD, for best performance
gains.

> Would it be easy to do?

Yes.

> What would be the impact?

It depends on the workload.  In general, it helps workloads which
do random reads, perhaps by 10x or more.

> Has anyone tried this?

Yes.
 -- richard