Hello everyone,

I am trying to take ZFS snapshots (ie. zfs send) and burn them to DVD's for
offsite storage.  In many cases, the snapshots greatly exceed the 8GB I can
stuff onto a single DVD-DL.

In order to make this work, I have used the "split" utility to break the images
into smaller, fixed-size chunks that will fit onto a DVD.  For example:

#split -b8100m ./mypictures.zfssnap  mypictures.zfssnap.split.

This gives me a set of files like this:

7.9G mypictures.zfssnap.split.aa
7.9G mypictures.zfssnap.split.ab
7.9G mypictures.zfssnap.split.ac
7.9G mypictures.zfssnap.split.ad
7.9G mypictures.zfssnap.split.ae
7.9G mypictures.zfssnap.split.af
6.1G mypictures.zfssnap.split.ag

I use the following command to convert them back into a single file:
#cat mypictures.zfssnap.split.a[a-g] > testjoin

But when I compare the checksum of the original snapshot to that of the
rejoined snapshot, I get a different result:

#cksum 2008.12.31-2358--pictures.zfssnap
308335278   57499302592   mypictures.zfssnap
#cksum testjoin
278036498   57499302592   testjoin

And when I try to restore the filesystem, I get the following failure:
#zfs recv pool_01/test < ./testjoin
cannot receive new filesystem stream: invalid stream (checksum mismatch)

Which makes sense given the different checksums reported by the cksum command
above.

The question I have is, what can I do?  My guess is that there is some
ascii/binary conversion issue that the "split" and "cat" commands are
introducing into the restored file, but I'm at a loss as to exactly what is
happening and how to get around it.

If anyone out there has a solution to my problem, or a better suggestion on how
to accomplish the original goal, please let me know.

Thanks to all in advance for any help you may be able to offer.

-Michael